1 litre almond milk (with no thickeners)
7 tablespoons corn flour
5 tablespoons sugar
2 whole cardamom pods
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2½ tablespoons rosewater
For the garnish
1 tablespoon finely ground cardamom pods
2 tablespoon pistachios or almonds, coarsely ground
- Mix the corn flour with a little almond milk into a smooth mixture.
- Be sure to eliminate all the lumps. Set aside.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Combine the rest of the almond milk with the sugar, the vanilla essence, rosewater and cardamom pods. Mix well and stir.
- Once the mixture becomes moderately warm, pick out the cardamom pods, pour in the cornflour mixture and stir vigorously. To avoid lumps, you can use a whisk.
- Keep stirring until the mixture thickens to an almost custard-like consistency, (this will take about 10 to 15 minutes). Be careful not to let the mixture stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour into individual dishes or a large bowl and garnish with a sprinkling of ground pistachios or almonds and ground cardamom.
- Set aside to cool, then cover and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or more.
Serves 6 to 8 or more